ALDI Manager Merchandising in Batavia, Illinois
We're ALDI, one of America's favorite grocers. We've grown a lot in the past few years, expanding our reach and customer base all around the country. Whether it's in customer service or our exceptional products, we owe our success to the efficiencies we create in every corner of our company and the people at each level who make that happen.
National Buying Services is the department dedicated to acquiring the goods that our ALDI customers count on. Beyond working to secure quality products at the lowest possible prices through our Buying and support teams (Administration, Pricing, Merchandising, Quality Assurance and more), our teams ensure we are providing the best value and quality in everything we do.
Position Type: Full-Time
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Analyzes and establishes work procedures with the objective of driving simplicity and effectiveness.
• Assures the training, development, and performance of their team’s staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce that achieves their career objectives.
• Recruits and recommends qualified employees for their team’s staff positions.
• Approves all time-off requests for direct reports.
• Establishes and communicates job responsibilities and performance expectations to their team to assure mutual understanding of desired results; evaluates performance and achievement of expectations and desired results; resolves internal or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
• Understands the overarching company strategy, as well as communicates and models the core values, of the organization to create a sense of teamwork and membership among employees.
• Source external vendors for applicable services and recommend to leadership when appropriate.
• Manages and evolves merchandising principles and procedures in consultation with the Buying Department and Store Operations.
• Acts as a central point of communication on merchandising and market data between National Buying Services and Store Operations.
• Develops and delivers training to relevant business areas and personnel on merchandising procedures and best practices.
• Serves as an active member of the Store Set Committee, presenting topics on behalf of National Buying Services.
• Ensures the ALDI Insight Center is up to date with all new monthly launches/seasonal resets.
• Consults with leadership on the development of their team's strategy.
• Advises leadership to source external vendors for applicable services when appropriate.
• Liaises with regions to ensure timely and efficient communication flow.
• Consults with the business to effectively design and streamline applicable processes within the organization.
• Keeps up-to-date on external best practices and relevant changes to their field/area; communicates updates to leadership.
• Develops and continuously improves merchandising processes that maximize profitability, increase efficiencies and streamline the shopping experience for customers.
• Oversees planogram development by the merchandising team ensuring all merchandising plans are profitable, operationally efficient, customer focused and appropriate in terms of product mix, style and the trading environment of company stores.
• Creates solutions and initiatives for senior executives that look to optimize individual category performance and maximize profits by reviewing and recommending macro space layout changes in conjunction with line numbers.
• Upholds the security and confidentiality of documents and data within area of responsibility.
• Manages their team by driving projects and tasks to completion through effective prioritization, work planning, resource allocation, and cross-functional collaboration.
• Identifies cost-saving opportunities and potential process improvements.
• Serves as the primary link between their team’s staff and leadership to assure understanding of company goals, objectives, and opportunities for improvement.
• Other duties as assigned.
ALDI Acts Competencies:
Perform within ALDI Acts competencies as outlined below.
• Managing Self: Seeking feedback, reflecting upon personal behaviors and looking for growth opportunities. Displaying composure, resilience and a positive approach to work.
• Communicating with Impact: Communicating clearly and effectively in written, non-verbal and verbal communication to inform, inspire, motivate and influence. Appreciating the importance of listening, empathy and respect.
• Cooperating with Others: Creating and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Actively consulting, managing conflict and appreciating alternative perspectives and cultures.
• Leading People: Fostering a cooperative leadership style that empowers and motivates. Providing clear expectations and direction. Developing people in their roles and supporting future growth.
• Driving Decisions and Results: Showing ownership by making informed decisions, executing efficiently and taking responsibility for results. Pursuing goals and taking initiative. Using market awareness to better meet the customers' needs (internal and external).
• Managing Change: Demonstrating flexibility and embracing changes to adapt to shifting business needs and emerging technologies. Identifying opportunities for business improvements. Effectively implementing changes in alignment with business goals.
• Ability to recommend, interpret, and/or apply company policies and procedures.
• Gives attention to detail and follows instruction.
• Ability to develop rapport, trust, and open communication that enhances the growth and job performance of direct reports.
• Understands the history, strategy, organizational authority, interdependence of job duties, products, systems, and services of the company.
• Conflict management skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Prepares written materials to meet purpose and audience.
• Thinks critically and analytically.
• A natural self-starter, outcome focused, with an eye for detail.
• Works cooperatively and collaboratively within a group.
• Ability to stay organized and multi-task in a professional and efficient manner.
• Ability to evaluate work performance and motivate behavior change among direct reports when necessary.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment, consistently meeting deadlines and remaining calm under pressure.
• Active change agent; ability to react, be adaptable and lead team through times of change.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Merchandising, Business, or a related field required.
• A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in Merchandising and retail operations required.
• Or, a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
• Management experience preferred.
• Proven track record of managing multiple stakeholders across business disciplines required.
• Work is performed in an office environment where a computer, telephone and other office equipment are used as needed to perform duties.
• Frequently sitting, walking, bending/squatting/grasping, reaching below waist, above shoulder, and horizontally, as well as lifting of items up to 5 lbs.
• Constantly and repeatedly use keyboard/mouse.
• Occasionally required to push, pull, bend, lift and move up to 25 lbs.
• 10-20% of work is performed in a store staging environment at the ALDI Insight Center or store as required which includes:
o Occasionally lifting items 6 to 10 lbs.
o Infrequently lifting items 11 to 50 lbs.
*Note: amount of time at ALDI Insight Center (AIC) is dependent on time of year.
• Domestic travel required.
• Up to 10%.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
PerkSpot National Employee Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
Voluntary Term Life Insurance
Click here to learn more about the benefits ALDI has to offer (https://careers.aldi.us/benefits)
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI's receipt of an acceptable and job-related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.